Wednesday 28 January 2009

Personal Data Lost




I heard another story on the news today about a local authority losing personal data (Name, address and contact details of its staff) and was horrified to then discover that I too had "misplaced" a comprehensive list of the names, addresses and contact numbers of thousands of people in Hartlepool and the wider Teesside area.

How could I be so careless with such data I berated myself! Had I left it on a train? Had it been stolen by terrorists? Were evil criminal masterminds even now poring over the information and plotting dastardly deeds.

Luckily the data was recoverer from my daughter's bedroom where it was found propping up a table leg. I told her that the BT Phone Directory was not for that and it shouldn't be removed from its secure storage on the telephone table in the kitchen. Kids eh. No sense of data security. I shudder to think what could have happened if this information were available to just anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment